Share This Article
The Baxter County Early Literacy Project is a collaboration between the Baxter County Library, Mountain Home, Cotter, and Norfork School Districts, Schliemann Center for Women’s Health Education, ASUMH, and other early literacy advocates.
To equip all Baxter County children with the early literacy skills, they need to be prepared to enter Kindergarten by:
- Getting books into their hands
- Promoting the importance of early literacy
- Instilling the practice of reading aloud into family culture
- Increasing awareness of Arkansas Child Development and Early Learning Standards
Little Free Libraries
There are 8 Early Literacy Project Little Free Libraries in Baxter County stocked with children’s books. You can’t miss them – they are bright yellow. Anyone may take a children’s book or leave a children’s book to share. Get a free book, and read it with your child today!
- Cooper Park in Mountain Home
- Quail Run/Meadow Park Apartments in Mountain Home
- Mountain Home Kindergarten
- Gassville City Park
- Norfork Head Start
- Big Spring Park in Cotter
- Mountain Station Apartments in Mountain Home
- Hickory Park in Mountain Home *newest location!
Dolly Parton Imagination Library
Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library is a book gifting program that mails one free, high-quality book per month to children from birth until their 5th birthday, no matter their family’s income. Thanks to some generous donations, this program is available to children in Baxter County! To enroll your child, visit the Library or Baxter County Imagination Library. For more information on the Baxter County Early Literacy Project, please contact Kim Crow Sheaner at firstname.lastname@example.org or 870-580-0979.